Saturday, October 31, 2009

A tick in the ointment

Poor Joya has billary! A nasty tick-borne disease that can really knock a horse back. So it probably wasn't my cheese-cucumber sandwich diet to blame for our poor showing at the Kabete Happening.

My vet says at least two weeks of no riding, others I've talked to say it can take up to six weeks for a good recovery. Apparently billary puts a real strain on a horse's heart so you have to be very cautious. So we've withdrawn from the Sanctuary Farm Event in Naivasha and may have to withdraw from the Horse of The Year Show here in Nairobi in early December.

Fortunately our scyce Peter caught on very quickly that Joya wasn't feeling well. We came back from the show last Sunday afternoon, at which point she seemed well enough, and Peter called me Tuesday morning to say she wasn't eating and wasn't acting like herself. The vet came out right away to draw blood and could tell immediately what the problem was, so she started treatment even before the blood test was done.

By Wednesday, she was eating her hay, though still turning her nose up at her feed, and was perfectly content to inhale the carrots I brought her. Thursday, she didn't want her carrots, so I panicked a bit. Today, Saturday, she ate her grain, gobbled her carrots AND pinned her ears at me in a classic Joya mean-girl moment, and I knew she was going to be OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!