Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Back story, part 1


Who was the first horse you ever loved?

I admit, I'm easy...I have loved almost every horse I've ever really known. Brady, a mare "of a certain age" that I half-leased when I first started getting seriously sucked into this horse thing. Zippy the wonder horse with his small brain, large appetite. But for a lasting relationship, I think of Turbo. He was in his 20s, I was in my 40s. Which made it a December/September relationship, I guess. He was a "gift horse," in that he had been given to a friend of mine and I for free (I hear you laughing, yes, I know, if there is no such thing as a free lunch, there is TRULY no such thing as a free horse).

Three years ago, I had to leave Turbo behind when I moved to Nairobi with my family as what is called a "trailing spouse." Gotta love that label! Like the tail on a comet, following my shooting star...right.

So it was great to discover a lively riding scene in Nairobi. An AFFORDABLE riding scene, at least for those of us accustomed to spending a lot more on shoes for our horses than shoes for ourselves. Right now, I pay about $250 a month for full board, $15 for a visit from the farrier...this is one-half to one-third DC area prices.

The situation, then, was this: in a new country, not working, no work permit, and cheap horse life on offer. What would you have done?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!