Thursday, November 12, 2009

From Ducati to boda-boda bicycle...the Billary Effect

My vet told me I could start riding Joya again, as she is over her bout of billary (tick-borne disease, nasty!). Yesterday we went on a short hack, mostly walking with some trotting and a few very short canters.

She was fine, but the difference between Joya in top condition, and Joya after an illness and three weeks off work, is huge! Since I'd recently been wrangling with my husband and son about which is more fun, motorcycles or horses (I know, stupid question), the comparison that came to mind was between a Ducati and the bicycle taxis here, which are called boda-bodas.

Because one thing horses teach you is to look at the bright side of your setbacks -- a great gift, really -- I have decided to take advantage of Joya's rather low-energy state to work on the things she just doesn't tolerate working on when she is feeling strong. Getting on the bit while at the walk, for example. Smoothing out her turn on the forehand. Really straightening out our signals for turn on the haunches.

Meanwhile, I'll be dropping my stirrups more and doing more sitting while trotting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!