Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Satellite TV Karma!

OK, so I walked into the TV room in our house in Nairobi, turned it on...and what comes up? World-class show-jumping! The Global Champions Tour, VDL Group Grand Prix. Gorgeous Euro-horses jumping enormous obstacles in fabulous style.

Now, given that even here in Kenya we get about a hundred channels on our satellite service, and given that only a minuscule percentage of the airtime on any one of them is devoted to that ratings killer of all time, equestrian sports, I found that extremely unlikely.

So I sat and watched the final 40 minutes or so. Which is also extremely unlikely, as my television attention span has shrunk to the point I need a microscope to find it. And I was riveted. Here's why...(are you listening, Jane?) After a heart-stopping jump-off, third place finisher (just .5 sec off the winning round) was a 60-year-old frenchman, Michel Robert, who I gather is sort of the George Morris of France.

Yes, 60. Almost 61, as the announcer pointed out. Sure, in the horse sports we older athletes have an undeniable advantage...in that our equine partner can be as young as we like. And let's not forget who is actually jumping those heart-stopping oxers and spooky liverpools. Still, that doesn't mean that you can ride at the top levels without being a pretty fine athlete.

And just to make it perfect, the first and second place finishers were women. And at least one of them, I think both, were riding mares.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!